I few days ago I invited Text2Go owners to take part in the Text2Go 4.0 Beta. I’m now opening the beta up to anyone who’s brave enough.
You can download it directly using this link Text2Go 4.0 Beta. If you already have a previous version of Text2Go installed, make sure you uninstall this first.
The beta version is quite stable and I encourage you to give it a try. Having said that, if you do find any bugs, please use the Support… command within Text2Go to let us know.
The major new feature is ebook to audiobook conversion. Text2Go reads ebooks in the open ebook format know as ePub (.epub), html (.htm or .html) and plain text files (.txt). The ePub format is preferred. If you have an iPod, Text2Go will create an audiobook complete with chapter marks. If you have another MP3 player, Text2Go will create one MP3 file per chapter and name them so they will appear in the correct order.
There is a tutorial on the Text2Go website that guides you through the process.
Here are a few sources of ebooks to get you started.
- Smashwords, a great source of contemporary works by independent authors
- epubbooks.com, a nice selection of free, public domain classics in the ePub format.
- Project Gutenberg, the original, most extensive source of public domain classics.
- Finding Free eBooks, free ebooks from all over the web.
- eBooks Just Published, my own site announcing reasonably priced and free ebooks.
This new version includes the following minor enhancements.
- Improved hotkey support. You can now define hotkeys for commands that work in Internet Explorer, such as Add Text, Speak Selected Text, Text2Go, Check Pronunciation, etc.
- Support for larger audio files. Text2Go was previously limited to producing audio files up to 2GB in size. This was a limitation of the Microsoft .wav audio file used as a temporary file during text to speech. Text2Go will now save speech directly to an MP3 file, avoiding this limit. A side benefit is that outputing MP3 files is now faster as there is not need to convert from a .wav file to an MP3 file.
- A number of minor bug fixes.
Let me know what you think.